Monday, September 29, 2014

Top 10 Broadway Stars Who Need to Voice Disney Characters

Ok, so I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that Disney movies are more popular now than they have ever been. I think this can be attributed to the fact that those of us who were little when the classics came out are now grown up and are not about to stop loving Disney movies, old or new (though I do draw the line at Princess and the Frog. That just didn't do it for me). I'll also say that Broadway is oddly almost mainstream. When my parents told me that back in their day, "The Impossible Dream" was a popular song, I thought that was so beyond where our culture could ever be in terms of Broadway popularity.

But then, I think we came pretty darn close when "Let it Go" from Frozen (ever heard of it? Yeah, it's a cute little film) climbed the charts and is still played on the radio in at least one small town in Georgia that I know of. So with all of this Broadway and Disney crossover, I couldn't help but think that there are a few Broadway actors that have thus far been left out of the Disney club, which is becoming the place for Broadway stars (actually, it's been the place for years, but I think it's becoming more of a thing now). There are so many that are no-brainers to join the House of Mouse, so what's Disney waiting for?

Top 10 Broadway Actors Who Need to Voice Disney Characters

1. Laura Benanti- Obviously, they'd have to incorporate some LB side-eye into the animation, but can't you see her playing a princess (actually no, I could see her playing someone's mother) or someone with a stirring 11 o'clock number with her beautiful soprano?

2. Liza Minnelli- Y'ALL. Why didn't Disney think of this 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago? I just can't imagine. Her character voice is SO Disney!

3. Sutton Foster- This Tony Award-winner just needs to be a Disney princess. End of discussion. Like, why has this not happened yet?

4. Sherie Rene Scott- I think her voice needs to be used mostly because it's beautiful and very distinctive and almost quirky. Perfect for a Disney princess or the princess's mentor or something.

5. Kerry Butler- I'll be the first to admit that Kerry Butler's voice actually annoys me a bit (I know, I'm sorry), but it is impressive. She would make a wonderful Disney princess because of how distinctive her voice is.

6. Norbert Leo Butz- He's probably a bit old to be voicing a prince (sorry, Norbs!!), but his pipes are off-the-chain! He absolutely has to voice some Disney character, like a villain with an awesome solo like "Be Prepared" or "In the Dark of the Night." The more I think about this the more excited I get. Isn't his portrayal of Hanratty in Catch Me if You Can pretty Disney-like?


7. Jim Dale- Jim Dale is basically the king of voice acting at this point, having recorded the audiobooks for the entire Harry Potter series (which you need to listen to yesterday if you haven't already), but he hasn't voiced an animated character in a movie yet. Again, we all know he has a character voice, so Disney definitely needs to take advantage of that.

8. Mandy Patinkin- I think we all have a soft spot for Mandy Patinkin, if for no other reason than he was Inigo Montoya in the best movie of all time, The Princess Bride. And he has a wonderful, unique singing voice. It would be great for just about any adult Disney character.

9. Joel Grey- SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. HE'S NEVER BEEN IN A DISNEY MOVIE?! Yeah, it's a crime. Again, this issue should have been addressed 40 years ago. Come on Disney, let's pick up the pace. He would be perfect for  (name that male character of any age) .

10. Douglas Sills- Oh my gosh, I think every little girl would fall in love with whatever prince he voiced. Just give him some kind of gorgeous, heartsick song, and I'll be satisfied. Whew let's just review why he needs to be a Disney prince...


Honorable mentions: Robert Goulet (boy, did they miss their chance on that one! What were they thinking?!), Carol Channing (like, HELLO! haha that pun actually started out unintended, but once it was realized, you best believe I'm taking credit for it), Elaine Stritch (yeah, who didn't see this coming?), Julie Andrews, Carol Burnett. All of these people should have been in a Disney movie. Of course, I will admit that the Disney animation studios were dead for the prime years that these individuals could have been cast.

I'm not including Brian Stokes Mitchell, Bernadette Peters, or Kelsey Grammer, because though they have not voiced Disney characters, they have voiced characters in animated musicals already (bravo, DreamWorks and 20th Century Fox).

What do you think of this list? Who did I leave out? Who shouldn't have been included?

Read more:
The 7 Reasons Why FROZEN is Disney's Version of WICKED
From CINDERELLA to FROZEN, Broadway Voices Overtake Disney One Classic at a Time
The 6 Elements of the Winning Disney Formula
"Let it Go" Becomes Disney's 12th Best Song Winner at the Oscars!
Disney/Broadway crossover

Sally Henry www.BroadwayWorld.com/author/Sally-Henry // Twitter: www.twitter.com/bwayginger // Facebook: www.facebook.com/singularsensationbway

No comments:

Post a Comment